Understanding how weighted averages work will be a very important topic for you in this course, since your grades are determined in this way. In this project, you will create an Excel spreadsheet that can calculate a student’s final grade in a course. You will then submit a WORD document answering several questions regarding your project. WORD and Excel documents ONLY.
In this project you are required to do the following:
Create an Excel spreadsheet that will be capable of calculating a student’s final grade in a given course. Keep in mind that weighting is involved in determining the final grade. You should NOT be using a template for this project. You will be required to CREATE the gradebook from a blank worksheet. Your Excel spreadsheet should contain the following:
• Your name, course name and project name.
• A data table labeled by Category using the category headings and scores on the next page for a MATH 123 class (DO NOT use any your own scores).
• A table to calculate the overall grade with headings Categories, Category Weights, Category Average and Category Percentage Points.
• Category Weights used to determine the final weighted grade for a MATH 123 (Where can you find the weights for this course?)
• A Final course grade, Labeled cell, at the bottom of your grade book calculation table that uses a formula to calculate the weighted OVERALL COURSE percentage. If a value is changed in your spreadsheet, your final calculation should recalculate. Please limit your use of Excel functions to those used in the course-packet (for a list see the ‘Excel Reference sheet’ in Ivy Learn’s ‘Excel Help’ Module.) Highlight the final course percentage cell.
Your written portion of the project will consist of answering the short answer questions given below. Each short answer response should be a minimum of 3 sentences and 50 words. Use proper quantitative reasoning and wording to address the solution. This should include sophisticated and elegant solutions to clearly convey your message to the reader. Make sure to use you spreadsheet to answer the “what if” questions with specific values and provide support for your statements. Questions are not cumulative – return to your original spreadsheet to answer the next question.
1. Explain how you setup your excel worksheet. Make sure to address any formula used by showing an example but avoid using cell references (B5, A3, G12, etc.) What final course percentage (to 1 decimal) did you calculate? What letter grade in the course did this student earn?
2. What grade in the class would the student have if they were allowed to retake Exam 2? Could this be enough to change their class grade?
3. If the teacher allows the student to make up the missing project, is this enough to reach the next letter grade?
4. How many quiz scores should be dropped in order for the student to reach the next letter grade? Is this a reasonable request from the student?
5. If the student can earn extra credit, which score should they apply extra credit to best improve their grade? Consider the student earns 25 points for extra credit. Is this enough to raise the class grade to the next letter?
6. Is it possible for this student to reach the next letter grade in the class by redoing homework and quiz scores? Provide one scenario that could make this possible by changing grades from the different categories. How many and what changes would have to be made to reach the next letter grade for this student?
Submit both an Excel and Word file following your instructor’s directions for submission.
Use the following parameters and scores in your Excel spreadsheet
Methods of Evaluation: There will be an Exam 1, Exam 2, and Exam 3 in this class. A total of 20 homework papers are given and 10 total quizzes are assigned. The course has 2 projects and 3 online test reviews.
Grading Scale: Category Weights: (NOTE: These are grade weights for a current face-to-face math 123 course) 90 – 100 A Exam 1: 20% Test Review: 5%
80 – 89 B Exam 2: 20% Project: 10%
70 – 79 C Exam 3: 25% Quiz: 10%
60 – 69 D Homework: 10%
0 – 59 F
A student has the following grades in each category:
Exam 1 95
Exam 2 65
Exam 3 88
Online Test Review 85 0 80
Project 82 0
Quiz 90 95 100 97 80 88 0 0 80 60
Homework 100 95 100 7 95 80 75 76 95 83
80 0 65 90 92 0 0 55 40 0
Short Answer Response Spreadsheet
Q1: Detailed explanation of excel use, setup, formulas shown in wording, example given /10 Labels on categories, values /5
Q2: Retake Exam 2, change in class grade
/10 Category averages calculated /10
Q3: Redo missing project, updated grade
/10 Percentages/Weights shown /5
Q4: Number of quiz scores dropped, any change of grade
/10 Final Course grade calculated or series of calculations shown to get answer /10
Q5: Extra credit applied, updated change of grade
Q6: Redo all HW and quiz scores, updated class grade
Spelling and Grammar appropriate for a college level course
/10 Total (100 Points Possible)
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Valley, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.