Write a one-page double-spaced response (3-4 paragraphs) about your writing process and how what Hemingway writes in the A Moveable Feast excerpt relates to your own writing process and/or writing habits. Your response should include an introduction (with thesis), 1-2 body paragraphs (with topic sentences), and a solid conclusion.
In your response, you may want to also address some of the following questions:
• What type of physical environment do you need in order to write effectively?
• What types of writing “tools” do you prefer?
• How do your writing habits match other aspects of your life and personality?
• What steps have you taken to eliminate internal and external distractions?
• In A Moveable Feast, Hemingway writes, “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” What does this mean to you?
After you have written your essay, “mark-up” the essay as follows:
1. BOLD your attention grabber or “hook.”
2. Underline your thesis statement.
3. Italicize your topic sentences (one per paragraph)
4. Highlight in yellow one supporting sentence (evidence) in each paragraph.
5. Underline the sentence in your conclusion that restates/rephrases your thesis statement.
6. Highlight in green the “truest” sentence you wrote. (this is open to your interpretation)
*If you are going through your paper and realize you do not have one of these elements or you are not happy with what you have, you should revise.
This assignment is worth 50 points. See rubric below.
Points Earned Points Available Description
10 Student provides a clear introduction and thesis statement.
20 Student supplies 1-3 body paragraphs that directly supports the thesis statement. The essay specifically discusses the student’s writing habits and makes a direct connection to the Hemingway excerpt. The paragraphs are solid and follow the P.I.E. format.
5 Student provides a conclusion that summarizes the essay and restates (rephrases) the thesis.
10 Student uses correct grammar, mechanics, spelling, and punctuation.
5 Student follows MLA format which includes double-spacing the essay, using a readable font, indenting paragraphs, and using the proper page headings. (See the START HERE TAB for more information and examples.)
10 Student provides the “mark-ups” as noted above and they are accurate (1-6)
Here is the Hemingway article…
Hemingway and Me
Writing isn’t always easy. Even experienced writers have difficult times in the writing process. They learn how to work through the difficult times by employing strategies that help them with their writing. Consider the advice of Ernest Heminingway…
It was wonderful to walk down the long flights of stairs knowing that I’d had good luck working. I always worked until I had something done and I always stopped when I knew what was going to happen next. That way I could be sure of going on the next day. But sometimes when I was starting a new story and I could not get it going, I would sit in front of the fire and squeeze the peel of the little oranges into the edge of the flame and watch the sputter of blue that they made. I would stand and look out over the roofs of Paris and think, “Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” So finally I would write one true sentence, and then go on from there. It was easy then because there was always one true sentence that I knew or had seen or had heard someone say. If I started to write elaborately, or like someone introducing or presenting something, I found that I could cut that scrollwork or ornament out and throw it away and start with the first true simple declarative sentence I had written. Up in that room I decided that I would write one story about each thing that I knew about. I was trying to do this all the time I was writing, and it was good and severe discipline.
(Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast)
Hemingway’s account contains some helpful pointers for all writers.
1. Develop writing habits that work for you and trust in them. Experienced writers believe they will write successfully because they have written before. They put this belief at risk each time they write, for each new piece of writing will inevitably contain new challenges. At times their confidence may waver, but they do not lose faith. They believe the habits that worked before (writing in a special environment, maintaining a disciplined schedule, and using familiar tools etc.,) will work for them again.
2. Understand the stages of the writing process. Identifying the predictable stages of the writing process builds confidence in writers. Experienced writers recognize the obstacles they encounter in each stage, the strategies that help them overcome those obstacles, and the signs that prompt them to repeat one or all of the stages. As they move forward from stage to stage, or backward to repeat a stage, they are confident that they are making progress because they are identifying and solving problems.
3. Rely on three basic elements – subject, audience, and purpose – to guide you. Experienced writers may talk from time to time about “inspiration” or “good luck,” but they do not depend on such mysterious forces. Effective writing emerges from effective decision-making, and effective decisions are made when writers focus on the constants in every writing situation: their subject, audience, and purpose.
Obviously, writing is a struggle for me and I dread it. I would rather take my bio chem class again than have to write papers!
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Valley, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.