All source analyses must be typed, double-spaced and set at a minimum of 12-point in a clearly legible font (such as Times New Roman).
Use in-text citations in the following format: (Dem. 54.**) (where ** = the number of the section(s) of the speech from which the quotation or reference has been drawn).
TASK: Write a well-organized, focused response to the following question:
What can Demosthenes’ speech, Against Conon, tell us about masculinity in Classical
Please note: The speaker in Demosthenes’ oration is meant to be Ariston, a young upper-class Athenian. Demosthenes wrote the speech, but was not the individual assaulted.
Your analysis will be graded according to the following criteria:
1. Answers the question with a clearly organized, convincing argument
2. Demonstrates a strong understanding of the text
3. Engages closely with the particular source at issue
4. Produces a focused response, written in organized paragraphs, with a clear thesis
5. Shows awareness of the source’s genre and/or broader historical context
6. Writes in clear and correct English
7. Cites evidence correctly
Some things you may wish to consider in your response (you are certainly not bound by these!):
• assumptions about positive versus negative behaviour
• cultural expectations according to age
• the place (or lack thereof) of alcohol, physical violence, and/or verbal insult in male
• the role of the law court and the jury in the ‘performance’ of masculinity
A few tips:
• Avoid making value judgments based on modern society – you are analyzing what the text can tell us about how Athenian society functioned, not whether we think it was a good thing or not.
• Make every word count! Be especially stingy when using quotations. A good rule of thumb is to paraphrase as much as possible and use quotations only when the exact words of the quotation are essential to your argument. And then choose your quotations with care. In an assignment this short, there is no reason to include lengthy quotations.
• Do not waste time with broad, sweeping statements (especially at the beginning of your analysis). Keep tightly focused on the text and the question.
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Valley, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.